Beautiful Sea, a Fort that gets surrounded by sea water, a few temples and a lot of fun. Alibag (Alibaug) is the ideal place for a one day return trip. Alibaug is 145 kms away from Pune and 30km to the south of Mumbai. There are some stunning beaches here along with forts and temples!
The Kolaba/Kulaba fort lies 2 kms inside the sea. Kulaba fort gets surrounded by sea water at the time of tide. There are the Uma Maheshwar and Balaji temples in Alibag too.
Alibag was developed in 17th Century by Sarkhel Kanhoji Aangre the naval chief of King Shivaji’s Kingdom. Bene Israelite Ali was a rich man in the city and owned many plantations of mangoes, coconuts in his gardens. So the local people called the place Alicha bagh (Gardens of Ali) which became in due course, Alibag.
- Alibag Fort: Alibag is the seat of District Administration of Raigad (formerly Kolaba) district since 1852. The name Kolaba is attributed to a Sea Fort Kolaba built by Shivaji the great, in 1680 to fight the mighty naval prowess of the Siddis’ (Abyssenians) of Janjira and the British of Mumbai. Kolaba fort is famous for many battles, between Siddis and Kanhoji Angre, the British and the Portugese.
Safety Tip – It is safe to go in the fort before or after 1 hours of fall. But one should always keep in mind that he should come back within 1 hour after the full fall. If you get stuck inside the fort you cannot come back for at least for 5 hours.
Beaches in Alibag
The following are the main beaches in and around Alibag:
- Alibag beach: This is the main beach of the town.
- Thal beach: Isolated Beach 5 km from Alibag.
- Varsoli Beach:Located about a mile from the main beach, home to a very large naval base.It is situated just on the outskirts of Alibag. It is relatively less visited site and as a result is a quiet beach with sparkling white sand and cleaner seawater. Varsoli is a small satellite village across Alibag, complete with thick vegetation of coconut and Casuarina.
- Akshi Beach: It is situated 8 km away from Alibag.The famous Kashid beach is located 18 km from Murud. The specialty of this beach is the beautiful slivery white sand. literally dazzling silvery on this clean beach. It is a favourite spot for advertising, TV serial and film shoots. The beach is complete with small-food stalls. This beach is well suited for the children and ladies as the sea is flat for a long distance. One can walk through to a considerable distance towards the sea.
- Nagaon beach: It is situated about 10 km away from Alibag and is famous for coconuts and betel nuts.
- Kihim-Navgaon Beach: Kihim is a secluded place at a distance of 12 km from Alibag. The Kihim beach is famous for dense cover of Coconut trees. It is also famous for woods which are home to rare butterflies, birds and flowers.
- Awas: It is situated about 16 km away from Alibag.
- Saswane: It is situated about 18 km away from Alibag.
- Rewas: It is situated about 24 km away from Alibag.
- Chaul Revdanda: It is situated about 17 km away from Alibag.
- Kaneshwar Mandir: It is situated about 17 km away from Alibag to Karlekhind – Chondi road.13 km from Alibag in Northeast direction is this very famous Shiv temple on a 900 ft. high hill. It is a 5000 ft. long climb on well paved stairs, which takes around one hour. Landmarks along the route are tombs of MohanGiri and Balgiri, Nagoba Rest, Jambhali Plateau, God’s stair, Gaymandi etc. It comprises various small temples of Sri Paleshwar, Sri Hanuman, Sri Balram Krishna and Lord Shiv.
- Mandawa: It is situated about 20 km north of Alibag. The catamaran/ferry services are available from Mumbai to the Mandawa jetty. Many Bollywood celebrities own bungalows here.
- Kashid Beach: It is 36 km away from Alibag, on the Alibag-Murud highway, also this beach is possibly one of the cleanest and most beautiful beaches in the region with almost ‘white’ sand. There are many cottages and resorts available ranging from around RS:1500 to RS:20,000. Prakruti resort is the luxury and the costliest of all. One can find water sports facility and number of small shops for snacks.
- Korlai Beach: A quiet serene beach with alternate white and black sands, along a serene stretch of the Arabian coastine, adjacent to a village of Korlai Creole Portuguese speaking Indians.Just across the bridge, to the right there is Korlai fort within the sea and attached to the mainland by a narrow land strip through the Korlao fort through the Korlai Village. It is supposed to have been built by the Portuguese in 1521. The main gate has an inscription which means ‘no entry without a fight’. The fort has seven gates, a sweet water well, a church in disuse, a Hindu timple and a Lighthouse
Hotels & Resorts in Alibag
- ‘KARPE WADI’- Agro Tourism center approved by ITDC. Must visit for good local food and Great Ambience.
- “Kill nothing but Time, Carry nothing but Memories, Leave nothing but Footprints.”
Karpewadi Agro-Eco tourism hub practises sustainable management and encourages you to do so too. Located just 100 kms from Mumbai and 155 kms from Pune, Karpewadi is an ‘agrotel’ where proximity to Nature is the central theme. For those who crave for action, there is private beach access, a range of activities to choose from onsite and a number of sightseeing destinations nearby. Professionally managed services, a no- compromise approach to providing basic creature comforts and the best quality home- cooked cuisine ensure that you are well taken care of.
- ‘AQUA SPLASHH..’ – Maharashtra Maritime Board Approved Water Sports. They have certified lifeguards and well trained staff.
A vacation is all about fun. Adrenalin racing, heart thumping and amusement. At Aqua Splashh you get all that and a bit more — Memories. Come have the fun and tell the world what you did this vacation at Aqua Splashh. Enjoy shooting your loved ones or friends with Paint Ball. Celebrate the water waves in Jet Ski, Bumpy Rides, Banana Rides & Boat Rides. Enjoy the sea shore on All Terrain Vehicle ( ATV ) and Beach Buggy. Come make your vacation an unforgettable fun.
- Samudra manthan’- An ideal resort for groups
- Prasanna’- Economical resort right next to the beach